Name: Ujjaini Mahakali
God: Sri Ujjaini Mahakali
Location: Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh


In the year 1813, a Military Battalion in which one Suriti Appaiah, a Doli Bearer was transferred to Ujjaini.  At the time Cholera broke out in a virulent firm, and thousands of people died.  Suriti Appaiah and his associates went to Mahakali Devasthanam at Ujjaini and prayed that if the people are saved from the epidemic, they would install the idol of Mahakali, Secunderabad. 

Accordingly after return from Ujjaini, Sri Suriti Appaiah and his associates have installed the idol of Goddess Mahakali made of wood at Secunderabad in July 1815. During construction of sanctum sanctorum a stone idol named as Manikyalamma was found and that the said idol was also installed besides Sri Mahakali Ammavaru.

In the year 1964, a stone idol of Goddess Mahakali was installed.  Later on Sri Suriti Appaiah with the help of Philanthropic persons has developed the Devasthanam.  Subsequently Endowments Department has taken over the Management of the Devasthanam.  Sri Suriti Krishna the great grandson of the Founder has been recognized as Member of the Founder’s Family who is also taking keen interest for the proper Management of the Devasthanam.

One Sri Ammanabolu Nagabhushanam a philanthropic devotees and prominent businessmen of Secunderabad constructed Kalyana Mandapam by the side of the Devasthanam.  Several devotees have been contributing for the development of the Devasthanam.  By such contribution a Rudrakshe Mandapam made of Silver has been arranged in Garbhalayam.  The Garbhalaya Dwaram is covered by ornamental Silver Sheets, etc.,

There are several oldest temples in Andhra Pradesh in which exist famous goddess temples like “Kanakadurga“ at Vijayawada , ”Bhadrakali” at Warrangal etc. “Sri Ujjaini Mahakali” temple in Telangana region at Secunderabad which is 191 years old. It is visited and prayers offered to the goddess by unending large number of devotees everyday in general and in particularly  thousands of devotees in Ashada jathara on principal days which falls on Sunday and Monday. There is no doubt about granting the wishes of devotees by the goddess and devotees fulfilling the vows.

The goddess Ujjain Mahakali sits in a Padmasana posture with four hands with sword, spear,  damaru, vessel of amrut, is a beautiful stone idol. It is said by some people that this idol was brought from Ujjain. This idol is covered and fixed with vendi kavacham(silver shield). By the side of Sri Ujjain Mahakali is the goddess of “Manikyaladevi”.
There are no historical records about the existence of this temple. This temple is a symbol of devotion of Shri Suriti Appaiah garu resident of secunderabad as Shri Rama temple at Bhadrachalam is symbol of devotee Bhakta Ramdas of those days.

Shri Suriti Appaiah garu was working in the military in the year 1813.A.D. Shri Suriti Appaiah along with others(Army bearers) was sent to Ujjain as mason. Everyday Shri Appaiah garu  visited Mahankali goddess temple and prayed her with utmost devotion during the entire period of his stay at Ujjain.

Shri Appaiah garu became an ardent devotee of the powerful goddess at Ujjain.On one day he has prostrated at her feet and offered prayers expressing gratitude for success of their mission to Ujjain and for showing the way for return journey, also prayed in many respects and expressed his wish that her idol will be installed at Secunderabad for offering prayers for ever. All of them returned to Secunderabad from Ujjain after the goddess felt happy and blessed Shri Appaiah garu for his selfless devotion. She also bestowed  kindness on him.
In the month of July 1815, Shri Appaiah garu installed a idol made of wood at the place where the present temple is existing and conducting pujas. He built the walls around the idol and constructed a small temple named “Ujjain Mahankali” temple.

It is said that in those olden days this place was inhabited by trees, insects, rocks and lakes. There was a big well and when repairs were being carried out by digging an idol named “Manikyalamma” was found. The same idol can be seen today in the sanctorum  of the temple towards Ujjaini Mahankali’s right side. In the year 1864 A.D Shri Appaiah garu replaced wooden idol and installed the two idols of “Mahankali” and “Mnikyalamma” as per the Hindu sastras and relevant pujas. Later,  Shri Sanjivaiah the son of Shri Surirti Appaiah  garu collected some amount in his village along with his friends got constructed the mandapam in the year 1900 A.D. Shri Laxmaiah (mesthri and representing of army bearer) son of Shri Sanjivaiah collected some amount and constructed  few shops along side the temple entrance as a source of income. In the year 1914 A.D Shri Kistaiah  son of Shri Laxmaiah formed a committee to conduct daily pujas and archanas by appointing a brahman(Shri Ogirala Subbaiah garu). Sons of Shri Kistaiah and Chikoti Chandraiah garu, prominent vysyas and their family members continued their efforts for the development of Shri Ujjaini Mahankali temple. In the year 1947 A.D the  endowment department of the then state government constituted a committee and arranged a Brahman, Shri Yendapalli Venkataramaiah for the purpose of conducting rituals to the goddess.

In the year 1953 A.D endowment department of the then state  government arranged board of trustees though the first founder was Shri Appaiah garu, there is a saying that family members of the army bearers also involved in the establishment of the Ujjaini Mahankali temple. The chairman, president, committee members honorary secretary etc are making necessary efforts to develop the temple further.

Annual Events:

SHRI AMMAVARI JATHARA: In Andhra Pradesh Shri Ammavari jathara has become very popular.

1.Ghatothsavam :

In the month of Ashada on first Sunday this celebration will begin. At the Karbala Maidan Ghatam is decorated with flowers etc and then brought in a procession with music and band in the manner of  “Vampuja” for the goddess similar to a bridegroom’s procession. This is called “Yedorkolupu”. On reaching, the Ghatam is kept in the temple.
From the next day onwards, the Ghatam goes to every house, dwelling of each basti/street for fifteen days with a small procession with music and mangal vadyam.

2.Kolupu Potharaju Bali :
Kolupu takes place on completion of 15 days. This is conducted on Sunday. In olden days “animal sacrifice” was made as a custom for goddess. At one stroke the of the buffalo was cut and fell down. This separated head was kept on the head of a person and went round the temple scattering the bali samagri dancing, jumping, displaying the skill of a potharaju. The entire site was very beautiful to look at when making rounds of the temple. But recently since, 25 years the “animal sacrifice” is prohibited, in its place “Kushmanda Bali” (Gummadikaya Bali) is being done as per the traditional procedure. As per the greatness of goddess “animal sacrifice was done in unlimited number and blood flowed down in various directions. The same night rain would fall and the entire area spread with blood is washed away and the premises got cleaned. (Even today on the day of Jatara rain falls).

3.Rangam :
Rangam is worth witnessing during the period of Ammavari Jatara. Inside the temple in front of the goddess an unmarried woman stand on a unburnt pot looking at the idol with utmost devotion and prayers. The mother goddess immediately responds and pronounce the good events going to take place in the coming year. Thousands of devotees gather near the temple and hear the Rangam with apt attention.

4.Saganamputa(Farewell) :

On Monday the Ghatam is bid farewell with great pomp and show in a procession. At Mettuguda the decoration of the Ghatam is taken away. People who join the Jatara experience in their as a memorable event for ever.


As per the Vedas daily poojas are conducted. On Friday special decorated archanas are being performed.Celebration of Navarathris are performed in the month of Ashwayujam with beautiful floral decorations for the goddess. Saptasathi homamas are performed. Thousands of devotees men, women and children will have the darshan of goddess and get blessed.

Daily Sashwata Annadanam scheme , The devotees who join the scheme will have to pay  Rs.5516/- (Five thousand five hundred and sixteen only) and 5916 for online payment option with payment gateway service tax to the temple.

Pooja / Offerring Online Charges inlcuding the Service    Tax for the Payment Gateway
(For Online Payment)
Sahastra Nama Archana
Nitya Aarathi
Swarna Pushparachana
Pallaki Seva (Tuesday, Friday 6.00pm)
Chandi Homam (Pournami only)
Laksha Pushparchana
Ghatam Pushpa Alankaram per day 
(only during Aashda Jathra)
All pooja items should be borne by the devotees


A) Pulihora (1 Kg)
B) Chakari Pongal (1 Kg)
C) Bella Pongal (1 Kg)
D) Dadojanamu (1 Kg)
E) Chanagalu (1 Kg )
F) Rava Kesari (1 Kg )

Anadanam per Day
Shasvatha Anadanam per day per year
Shasvatha Pooja per day per year ( After Completion of One Year Of Payment on the day chosen by the devotee)
Shasvatha Chandi Homam

Abhishekam is performed for the goddess receiving the gothram and names.

On the Poornima day every month “Chandi Homam” is performed in the temple for the peace/welfare in the world (Loka Kalyanam). Devotees who wish to participate in this program have to pay Rs.816/- to the temple. During the performance of Homam, Ghotram and names of the devotees are recited and prasadam is given thereafter.

Temple Timings : 6.00 am - 12.00 pm & 4.00 pm - 9.00 pm


Sri Ujjaini Mahakali Temple,

General Bazar,

Secunderabad ,
Andhra Pradesh,
INDIA - 500 003 

Temple EO E-mail ID : ac_eo_sumd_secunderabad@yahoo.com
Temple Telephone Number : 040 - 27814744, 040 - 66174744 


Name: Umamaheswaram.
God: Lord Shiva.
Location: Rangapur Village, Achampet, MahabubNagar on Hyderabad-Srisailam highway NH7.
Umamaheshwaram (also known as Maheshwaram and Umamaheshrum) is a temple dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva in Andhra Pradesh, India. It is in the picturesque Nallamala forest range around 100 kilometers away from Hyderabad on the Hyderabad-Srisailam highway. It is atop the hill 4 km from Rangapur Village, Achampet, MahabubNagar on Hyderabad-Srisailam highway NH7.
Umamaheshwaram is the northern gateway of Srisailam — one of the jyotirlingas. It is mentioned in many Vedas that visit to a Srisailam without Umamaheswaram is incomplete. It is atop the hill properly covered by huge trees. Hill ranges shields the temple and 500 metres of stretch to PapaNasanam. Through the day hardly any sunlight falls on this stretch, thus maintaining the temperature below normal year round. It is popularly known as Poor Man’s Ooti.
Papanasanam is around 200 meters away from the sanctum sanctorum, where water comes out underneath the huge rocks at the same rate all through the year. There is a rock-pot there that gets filled with water for every five minutes and overflows to water jasmine and other plants below.
Umamaheswara swamy temple is situated on very tall hills of Nallamala forests and datesback to 2nd century AD. Uma Maheshwara Temple temple was built during the reign of Maurya Chandragupta contains a grand image of Errana, adored in literature.
Umamaheswara swamy temple is also known as the North Entrance to Srisailam (Jyotirlingam). The presiding deities in Umamaheshwaram are Mallikarjuna (Shiva) and Bhramaramba (Devi). The Shivalinga is a surprise for the devotees because of its colour - it iswhite on one side and red on the other side. There is an enormous tank where a thousand elephants can swim at the same time. It contains the images of Chandi, Subrahmanya, Virabhadra, Kumaraswamy and other gods.

Importance of Temple:

Lord Umamaheswara swamy is a swayabhu lingam. Lord Srirama visited this place when doing Parikrama to Srisaila parvatam. This place is also described as Kubera sthanam.

Goddess Uma devi present in left side of Lord Shiva. Mahishamardini idol present in right side of Lord Shiva. Lord Ganesh and Lord Ayyappa also present in the main temple.
Temples of Lord Veerabhadra swamy and Lord Janardhanaswamy also present in the way to Papavinasanam. Nagaraju idol also present in the way to papavinasanam.
Papavinasanam is a continuous water flow coming from hill rocks. There is a small pit where coming water stored which makes us easy to take the holy water with mugs. we can do a holy bath in this sacred place.

Nearby Locations:
  • In the nearby village Rangapur is the famous Darga - Niranjanshalvali where every January 17 night you have huge processions taken in which lakhs of people participate.
  • 50 km from here, en route to Srisailam is the Mallela Thirtham which houses Lord Shiva. The waterfalls are a big attraction. To reach here you have to take a diversion from VatavarlaPalli.
  • 80 km from here is Maddimadugu, one more famous temple of Lord Anjaneya which receives thousands of devotees every Saturday and Sunday.
How to reach :
1.Uma Maheswaram is very nearer(10-12 km) to Achampet, Mahaboobnagar district. We have to go Achampet first, then Rangapur and from there Umamaheswaram. Autos will be avaailable from Achampet or from Rangapur.
2. Uma Maheswaram is also nearer to Munnanur(15 km). When we are coming from Srisailam, we have to get down at Munnanur from there pick a auto to reach Uma Maheswaram.

3. Uma Maheswaram present on hill, there is no village near temple. But Rooms are available to stay for families. If any body go singly, he had to stay in Temple hall.


Name: Undavalli Caves
Location: Undavalli Villege, Tadepalle Mandal, Guntur District, Andhra pradesh.

The Undavalli caves, in the village of Undavalli, are at a distance of and nearly The high hill overlooking the Krishna river hosts fine specimens of rock cut architectural of the Buddhists. 

The Undavalli Caves  an example of Indian rock-cut architecture and a finest testimonial of ancient vishwakarma sthapathis, are located in the village of Undavalli in Tadepalle Mandal in Guntur District, near the southern bank of theKrishna River, in the state of Andhra PradeshIndia. The caves are located 6 km south west from Vijayawada, 22 km north east of Guntur City and about 280 km from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.

Caves are associated with Vishnukundina kings - influential dynasty ruling over significant part of contemporary India in 420 - 620 AD. Caves were dedicated by local governor Madhava Reddy to the Anantapadmanabha Swamy and Narisimha Swamy temples.
First Vishnukundina kings were supporters of Buddhism and Undavalli Caves were started as Buddhist temples. For a while they were used by Buddhist monks and there have been preserved some Buddhist statues up to this day.
Later though caves were taken over by Hindus and major part of artwork we see here today is related to Hindu religion.
There is exciting legend about the cave - it tells that here starts 9 kilometres long underground passage leading to the sacred Mangalgiri mountain. Many locals believe in its existence and consider that the entrances have been closed and hidden by authorities to avoid accidents.

There are several smaller rock-cut chambers nearby but the main attention is given to the large four storied cave. From the distance it resembles an abandoned fort but when approaching it there reveals an exciting sight - whole enormous structure is cut in monolithic sandstone cliff.
Caves have four stories, each successive floor recedes. Facade is 29 m wide. Cave in its planning belongs to the earliest examples of Gupta architecture although several details in the second floor show the influence of Chalukyan architecture.
First floor can be entered through one of 8 - 9 roughly shaped openings with massive square columns in between. Planning and style of sculptures in the first floor shows that this was Buddhist monastery - vihara. Part of chambers are primitive rock-cut monastery cells. Hall is not completed, it contains 8 columns. Here are three separate sanctuaries for Trimurti - Brahma, Vishnu and Shivu, each with a pillared hall in front. Trimurti is important concept in Hindu religion - a triad of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, embodyment of cosmic functions of creation, maintenance and destruction.

Walls in the first floor are adorned with frescoes showing scenes from mythological stories and made in 7 - 8th c. AD, some paintings here have been done also in later time periods.
Second floor contains the most amazing sculpture in this temple - a huge, 5 m long statue of Lord Vishnu in his Padmanabha aspect shown in reclining posture. Also this statue resembles similar Buddha statues in some other cave temples. Sculpture is made out of single block of granite. Over Vishnu there is a canopy of multi-hooded Adi-Shesha, king of all nagas, shrine is adorned with numerous other sculptures as well.
Facade of the third floor is adorned with numerous sculptures, including depictions of lions and elephants. There opens beautiful view through these ancient sculptures towards other green hills and stands of palms below.

How to Reach:

Road : Undavalli is 8-km from Vijayawada. Buses and taxis are available from Vijayawada
Rail : Undavalli is 8-km from Vijayawada.
Air : Gannavaram-Vijayawada Airport. 280-km from Hyderabad Airport.


Ap-Temples.blogspot.com Copyright © 2011